Monday, March 14, 2011

March 14, 2011

So for me the struggle is between having a path before me that calls me to be invisible and having one that calls me to be an enemy, and wanting to choose neither. Readers and friends know that I consider my deepest calling is to search for/invent a large gate that invites peoples everywhere to feel invited to enter and build inclusive communities.

As I understand the message: “Love your enemies” (at least tonight) the path of being an enemy is clearly preferable to being one of being invisible. Relationship, communication and mutual growth is available to enemies – the dark side of being colleagues. If my only real choice were between being invisible and being seen as a threat, I am powerfully drawn toward being an enemy!

It’s such a compelling set up. No wonder so many people who are labelled as disabled, and their parents and friends, become advocates! The fights are typically endless and largely unsuccessful. But in fighting, one feels one’s own reality and overcomes the annihilation of being unseen.

Perhaps the call to love one’s enemy is Christ’s way to break through the set up – not from the “advocates” position perhaps, but from the perspective of those who live within the world of doors and steps. How would love look between these worlds so physically separated within the same space?

Of course, love looks like the donation of time and space to be in Savannah and do my art. It looks like the welcome to service, and church suppers, and casseroles dropped off to keep us fed, and use of the fax machine and so many doors held open so often. These gifts are received with genuine gratitude.

But is there a level of love that can transcend the fundraising account, doors held, casseroles and shelter, and go to the souls of the people who come together for such a brief moment and from such different worlds? Is there a love that gives visibility and recognition, taking the fear out of “enemy”? How do the “strangers” become “angels” for each other?

I am hopeful that when this tumultuous year has settled and my art exhibit at the Royal Ontario Museum has become history I will have the opportunity to return to Savannah, to First Presbyterian Church, and that by then I will have new discoveries about Inclusion and transforming invisibility. I will make an effort to host a dialogue about enemies that have discovered love. Perhaps we will be our own best examples.

No comments:

Post a Comment