Tuesday, December 14, 2010

December 14, 2010

I don’t feel much like writing. It’s been a busy day – a Laser Eagles fund raising planning meeting, Laser Eagles itself where I painted five small pieces, a little shopping and finally a Book of Judith debrief. Interspersed were the usual things that add up to hours and hours of time allocated – getting up, bedpan trips, getting to, in, out and away from the car (especially in winter where cleaning the wheelchair wheels becomes part of the process), e-mail, (Farmville!), eating and preparing for the next – meal, day, meeting, project, assistant, etc. There are days and parts of days where one more interruption, thought, task, whatever seems much, much too much. Today has been like that!

On top of this is the nagging question in my head – “Am I actually doing anything?” Someone today asked me, “What’s new?”, and I had no answer except, “The ROM”, which she already knew about. Why is it that so much energy and activity is expended on so little? Even more, what compels me either to be always “doing” or asking “Why”.

Anyway it seems like a chore to write tonight, yet important to keep on going. It’s a commitment now, and keeping it helps me continue to have faith in myself.

Part of it is to keep on capturing the edges of this fabulous moment in my life when inclusion is emerging at an entirely new level. Here are recent examples:
- real progress with letting go and having something that I created and care about be picked up and nurtured by others – Kimberley with Laser Eagles, Mike with WPIT
- inching patiently through the structures and processes of the ROM so that they may genuinely be partners in creating something inclusive
- living in my home and neighbourhood like I actually want to and do belong here
- sneaking up on writing another book
- designing with colleagues a touring version of the Book of Judith that is authentically vulnerable and will draw host communities into the inclusive experience
- staying in a role on the Toronto Wisdom City Team for more than a few months, confronting what hasn’t worked and taking on reaching new successes.

Now a real question is, “Can I make all of this packaged in the sort of profile that I will get paid enough money so that my living AND enhanced participation costs are paid, and my personal assistants’ wages are covered ongoingly - deep into the future?”

Can my art and my writing make money?

Can my ideas, dreams and experience make money?

Why not? Somehow it seems more likely that they can and always could except where I have been putting unnecessary barriers in the way.

I have a friend whose advice I am seeking regularly about money who says it is simply a matter of saying what I am going to do to make money, then doing it. No more hype, getting ready, anxiety, whatever – just choose to do something, then do it!

I have had considerable practice with just that and creating these daily writings.

Now I will copy the pattern over to making money!

No comments:

Post a Comment