Tuesday, December 28, 2010

December 28, 2010

Mike has pretty much finished reading through the autobiography section of the 475 pages we assembled last week. Kimberly is reading too, and getting quite into it, as in she is upset about some of it! Interesting! Their reactions reconnect me with my story.

As editor Mike has suggested that I write about the end of Cycle 2 as a bridge into the central location of the book – Cycle 3. Makes sense, and at the same time, it’s a bit intimidating. It might take more than two pages. It might take time and effort.

But it’s TIME – time for this book.

So here goes, Mike!

I became conscious that another cycle had ended or was coming to an end at about the time of my 60th birthday. I am not clear. Recently I have been noticing that my memory for events from the time of returning from the 2008/09 tour – late April 2009 through my hospitalization in Oct. 2010 – is jumbled. I chalk it up to stress, the growing infection in my body and the actual effect of one Cycle passing into another.

The foundation of the concept of my life being in 30 year cycles comes from the belief – powerfully communicated to me when I was six or so - that I certainly could not live past thirty years of age. At about that time I was enrolled in a research study conducted at “Sick Kids” – the Hospital for Sick Kids in Toronto. From that point I was to take two trips every six months into a big city, by car, at a time when such a voyage was strenuous for every person involved – me, my mother and my father.

There are several elements of this pattern that created fundamental perceptions of life for me. The adult Judith has always struggled with the “obvious” conclusions that the child came to in these four trips every year.

First of all, I knew I must be sick. Why so much attention from doctors and big hospital people if I wasn’t sick! Secondly nearly every encounter was bookmarked by intense pain and loneliness, and at the same time a sense of specialness and intimacy. For example, on each of these mornings my father would get me up – something which otherwise my mother always did. He always gave me the special breakfast – boiled egg mashed up on buttered, nearly burnt toast – a breakfast that I looked forward to passionately. Once the appointments were completed my mother always took me for an extra special lunch. She never said anything but it was understood that it was her way of saying that she knew how much these trips were a source of pain and loneliness for me. Finally, the doctors always paid a certain amount of special attention to me and expected me to perform in some entertaining way. For example, they always asked me to tell them a joke on each occasion. I realized at a very early age that this attention set me apart in some way, and so as much as the actual occasions were difficult, I also at some level looked forward to these benchmarks in my otherwise boring life.

And so, the fundamental themes of my life were well established before I was eight. I was special, I was different, I was dying, I was to be treated painfully by every adult who mattered to me, and I had nothing to say about any of it, except to be ready to tell jokes and eat lots of good food. I was very chubby until my 50’s.

(To be continued…)

No comments:

Post a Comment