Thursday, February 10, 2011

February 10, 2011

Last night my computer died after the router was unplugged. With Eva’s help I was able to establish my adaptive interface onto Helen’s computer and I was able to type again. However, the whole thing took long enough that I did not get to the blog, or – this week’s crucial task – supporting the online discussion about Inclusion that is part of Jay Klein’s Introductory class on Community and Disability at Arizona State University.

This morning I caught up on the class discussion and I will share some of that here. By the way Nick restored the start up function of my own computer and I am typing on it now.

Here is one of the student’s posts.

I currently manage the daily operations and community outreach for our family business, which is a caregiving agency. My role involves providing information on resources and referrals to families who are caring for older adults, conducting an assessment of the individual’s needs and strengths, developing a care plan which reflects their desires for assistance, and then matching the appropriate caregiver/companion to the individual. Since this is not medical care, but rather holistic “people-care”, we have the privilege of creating and nurturing meaningful relationships. It is a service based upon mutual agreement and recognition of individual choice.

Judith, your wisdom on understanding the importance of giftedness, inclusion, dreaming and relationships really resonated with me. I found that these basic principles of human essence had already crept into the language of my company philosophy. Five years ago when we started Blessings! For Seniors, I wrote this piece for our caregiver orientation/training:

“We are committed to supporting families in caring for each other, believing that all generations of the family have gifts to offer each other…We value caring for others, helping those in need, respect and appreciation of the human spirit. We believe each individual has a unique and valued purpose in life--that we are part of a greater community which is called to encourage and support each other.”

Little did I realize how this process of joining families in their circle of care would lead to discovering a host of giftedness, dreams and relationship! Each individual with whom we partner, trustingly reveals their personal struggles, hopes and dreams of something better. Like you say in your book “What’s Really Worth Doing”, dreaming is at the heart of relationship and we are compelled to be listeners of those dreams. I see the relationship between dreaming, expressing the dream, and it becoming reality. At Blessings!, we get to be Listeners and partners in creating reality--how awesome! Thank you for sharing your insight and illuminating my understanding of this sacred aspect of life.

My response:

I am getting “old”. My Dad is nearly 91. Both of us have hands on experience of both being supported by caregivers who (unconsciously I’m sure) see us as commodities – a means of exchange that keeps the system going, or others who relate to us as colleagues in the relationship where each is part of fulfilling each other’s life journey.

My Dad joined Facebook last Saturday. I’m certain that respectful, listening and relationship enhancing caregiving is ONE of the elements that has had him discover new life even though the love of his life, his wife of 63 years, Rita died three years ago.

But I want to point out something to you and your classmates. For the sake of your own learning and life journey, make sure that you go beyond agreeing or disagreeing with what you read in the Course Leaders’ and classmates’ postings. Agreement and disagreement ends the dialogue and shuts the gate of exploration.

Instead post stories about the new questions that emerge. This is the leading edge of your own dream.

Another student:

This whole view of the system prescribing how people should behave and be is what I am fighting against in my own career. I am currently working to get my doctorate in Public Administration with a focus on disability policy. This information supports my arguments that the system is very paternalistic and rigid. There is little room for self-determination leaving the clients the government works with to become more helpless and dependent, while conforming to government’s view of them. This is totally opposite to building a fully inclusive, strong and resilient community.

My response:

I have a blog about stories of people who are contributing and whose contributions are limited by the side effects of government assistance. The link is http://judithasnow.blogspot.com/. I think you could add to it!


It is a pleasure to work with students, and my only wish is that I could get face-to-face with them and have them go deeper!

No comments:

Post a Comment