Sunday, February 6, 2011

February 6, 2011

I just spoke to Lara, and that deep, edgy Southern lilt breaks/melts my heart. I am just one week, a few phone calls and e-mails, and a very long drive away from Savannah. Deep into the elegant veneer and the ball breaking poverty and racism. Within salty scent of cold Atlantic waters and magical pelicans.

It is like I have already left. There are over a hundred e-mails in my Inbox. I have fallen off the map of the Wisdom team. I have begun to consider how to pack the car and what road food to bring.

My circle met today. We had yet another fabulous pot luck – this time with a variety of chicken and pastries. Gloria told story after story of what she learned in and from members of the First African Baptist Church.

It’s funny but we clearly had very different trips to Savannah that winter of early 2008, or was it ‘07. for me it was all about advocacy, beginning to collect peace stories and meeting Lara. For Franziska, about having a GREAT time, for Gloria about the stories of blacks building their place in the world, society and community through turning Christianity back into a revolutionary journey.

The telling of our stories pulls together a mosaic. The story is bigger than the five women who lived it.

This morning I was reflecting on my commitment as a journey to tell a different story. I began to think of my MA as Magical Artist. I was seeing the power – the Syncopated Transition – in telling a story that interrupts the oppressive mirage. Even more than that I was seeing the power – the Syncopated Transition – in simply having perfect faith that one’s story IS the story, even though every other person is creating and fulfilling another drama.

I have heard the story of one black, deeply disturbed yet innocently diverse and fundamentally spiritual man – a man with a stack of disability labels – who single handedly pacified a police department which is known to be so aggressive as to blame a Chinese woman for being run down in the street.

So now I will paint a prison while retreating into the bosom of blatant racism. I am beginning to see Third Cycle as being about building stories that can, just by being told, interrupt and transform the space so that people can see the different choices that are available to them.

It was not long after the Savannah trip that Gloria and Franziska came on, and the shorter two that followed closely afterward, that I met Gabor Podor, and we created the model – Syncopated Transition. I am now beginning to see the unfolding of its power.

Syncopated Transition

In jazz, musicians use syncopation to emphasize a weaker or ignored beat in such a way that they create a new melody that challenges or counters the original melody. The original melody is not destroyed. The overall piece is transformed.

Syncopated Transition is a method of creating Inclusion by valuing and building on a characteristic or gift which has been rejected or suppressed by a community. As in jazz this creation is structured in such a way that a new opportunity in community is created.

Peace is a natural outcome of Syncopated Transition. Peace results from people experiencing that more opportunities are available to them while at the same time the fundamental structures of their lives and communities are preserved.


I see that my aim is to be a syncopated transition.

No comments:

Post a Comment